A bookkeeper’s role includes recording and classifying financial transactions. Besides numbers, organizational skills also help a professional gain edge over others. So, if you are hiring a bookkeeper for your business, keep an eye for these basic skills at least before making a decision.
- Data Entry: Data plays a huge role in ensuring success for a business. For this, computer skills are necessary as the bookkeeper should be able to record and analyze data in a timely manner.
- Communication: When handling business finances and taxes, you will need to work alongside others in the company, especially when it’s a large venture. Here, a lack of communication skills will lead the bookkeeper nowhere and the responsibilities won’t be fulfilled completely. So, the professional must be good at communicating over email, call, and in-person interactions.
- Knowing the Principles: That’s the basics of the job profile. A course or degree completed in this regard will justify that the candidate knows the basic principles, at least. However, if a candidate has gained additional qualifications with extra courses, that would be a plus.
- Record Organization: Check the candidate for organizing numbers, files, and data. That’s necessary because the bookkeeper will need to maintain a lot of data including financial records, transactions, bank statements, profit and loss calculations, and more.
- Attention to Details: Working fast isn’t going to fulfil the role if there’s a lack of precision. The bookkeeper should have an eye for details to ensure the data is accurate and disallow even the minutest mistakes from passing through.
Hiring a professional tax accountant Toongabbie can help you grow your business with every skill you need for the role.