Organic foods refer to animal and plant produce grown using natural farming methods, avoiding the use of man-made artificial pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, growth hormones, and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Organic foods can be beneficial for your health and the environment in many ways:
1. Organic foods contain more nutrients. They contain more micronutrients, antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals than conventionally grown produce.
2. Organic farming does not use GMOs. Genetic modification has become prevalent in farms, but organic returns to natural methods and avoids contamination.
3. Organic farming maintains healthy, fertile soil and environment. By using natural compost and avoiding artificial fertilizers, preservatives, insecticides or weed killers, organic farming makes the soil healthy.
4. Organic farming does not use sewage sludge in the soil. Sewage sludge, a toxic byproduct from wastewater treatment plants, can sometimes be used as a fertilizer in modern farming. Organic farms avoid this at all costs.
5. Organic farming encourages pollinators. Pollinators like bees and other wildlife are protected through organic farming as it does not interfere with their natural habitats and aid in the growth of biodiversity.
6. Organic farming helps conserve water and prevents pollution. Organic farms do not fill their fields with excessive water and do not interfere with the groundwater supply. They also prevent the toxic runoff that may arise from the use of pesticides in fields.
7. Organic foods are not irradiated. Organic foods are not exposed to harmful ionizing radiation.
8. Organic farming helps combat climate change
Organic farming methods encourage carbon sequestration and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
Start buying organic foods in Brisbane now!